Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with new Head Unit  (Read 1154 times)

Rebel

Help with new Head Unit
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:36:59 pm »
First of all, I am new to the forum so hello everyone  :happy2:

Basically I have bought my first Golf recently, a MK5 GTI (Obviously) and I would like to upgrade the HU.

I would like something that I can connect my iPhone 5s to.

My budget is around £250 (less if possible)

Can anyone help? Cheers.

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: Help with new Head Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »
If you want to go the OEM route, the RCD510 is within your budget. Though you will need the Bluetooth kit to make use of the telephone and BT streaming features, if you're not fussed with that then you can just connect the USB/AUX cables and route it to the glovebox, armrest or near the ashtray (with the USB/AUX switch ports). Be aware that early versions of the MK5 GTI's will require a new Canbus Gateway to prevent the battery from draining with the new headunits.

There are some cheaper "copy" units out there available on eBay which seem to cram all kind of features (i.e. Android OS) but beware, they can be hit and miss in terms of usability and reliability.

For aftermarket units you have a wide choice, it depends on your preferences really. IMO I think headunits with built-in screens are better suited to the Golf cabin then the cheaper matrix units. Kenwood, JVC, Sony, Alpine and Pioneer makes some decent units in this sector so just have a browse of the features relative to your budget (also check for compatibility with iPhone 5!). Currently I'm rocking on a Pioneer AVH-2400BT unit for over a year now and it generally hadn't let me down. You will need to buy a Canbus Quadlock adapter and double din fascia kit if you go down this route.

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
How much iPhone control do you want?

There are several different tiers from basic AUX in, USB/ MDI audio control, Bluetooth telephone through to Bluetooth audio streaming.

The only VW units with iPhone stuff physically built in are the Chinese market RCD 510 with onboard USB and the RNS 315 with onboard Bluetooth. All the others will require an MDI adaptor, bluetooth module or both depending what you're after.
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline daedos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »
It isn't clear if you want the iphone connection for Music/ipod or phone capabilities.  Budget is tight/impossible for OEM head units as you have to buy extra bits for ipod, Bluetooth functionality and canbus.

Personally I'm looking to upgrade for a nicer look & iphone music hookup.... probably going to pull the trigger on a Delphi RCD510 (w/ builtin USB) and canbus. £170 should do it.